When moving through the world with your electronic devices, you want to make sure you stay powered up. These recommended travel chargers get the job done!
No matter what the nature of your travel situation may be, a portable travel charger will come in handy. Whether you’re on a cruise and exploring onshore, or you’re on a very long cross-country car trip.
When you have some type of portable power bank for charging your electronic devices on the go, you won’t have to worry about phones, tablets, smart gear, or cameras dying at unfortunate moments. (You’ll also want to make sure everyone has sufficient access to power back at home base, so check out our post on the best travel power strips.)
You can find a wide range of quality charges at affordable prices which are ideal for travel.
There are pocket-sized individual chargers with built-in charging cables for every conceivable type of device. You can also find larger (yet still sleek) family-size chargers that have enough power to provide multiple repeat charges and/or can power up multiple devices at the same time. You can also find travel charges that can function on solar power.
There’s something for everyone and every situation. It’s just a matter of figuring what’s right for you.
Continue reading for our recommendations of 9 affordable travel chargers for this year. We also include a buying guide for selecting the best travel charger for your trip and the answers to some FAQs.
This post may contain affiliate links that could result in payment of a commission to this website (at no additional cost to you). Visit our Disclosures Page for more information.
Top Portable Travel Chargers for 2021
This Q Brand portable travel charger is currently one of the most versatile portable chargers available. It has four outputs and dual inputs, and it has an ultra-slim design that’s ideal for travel purposes. It comes with built-in cables for devices that require USB-A, USB-C, or an iPhone charger.
The 10000 mAh battery capacity of the charger can charge a smartphone 2.5-4 times depending on the type of mobile.
A particularly noteworthy feature of this charger is that can plug it directly into a wall outlet with its folding ac plug. This makes it easy to charge the power bank at the same time you’re charging your other devices (though probably not as fast).
Finally, the intelligent power management of the charger offers protection from over current, short circuit, over-voltage, and overheating.
- Slim and lightweight. Thus, it is pocket-friendly.
- three different built-in cables provide extra convenience
- Can do charging and discharging at the same time.
- Flexible cable lets you stack up the charger and the mobile one on top of the other.
- The cloth case that comes along with this product helps protect it.
- The built-in cables are short.
- Can charge mobile phones repeatedly, but cannot fully charge tablets.
- The power bank gets heated up fast.
- If you primarily use an Apple/iPhone cord, this may not be a good choice for you. There have been frequent complaints of the iPhone cable giving out in less than a year.
This is a family-size workhorse of a portable charger. With its large power capacity, it can fully charge tablets multiple times. It also provides three different high-speed charging ports that can continue to provide high-speed service even when charging more than one device. The charger has 3 USB ports that can be used for recharging iPhone, iPad, Android phone, and other smart devices. Thus it is an excellent travel USB charger for multiple devices.
Unlike many large capacity chargers that can take 10+ hours to fully charge, this one has two inputs that can be used simultaneously to fully charge the power bank in 40% to 50% less time.
The 26800 mAh capacity of the charger can charge mobile phones six to ten times, tablets over two times, and other devices multiple times.
When you purchase this travel charger, you receive two micro USB cables, a travel pouch, and a welcome guide.
- The charger has a huge capacity that can last for a week.
- Double speed charging owing to the power IQ and voltage boost technology.
- The charger does not get heated up like some other chargers.
- The charger weighs slightly more than a pound and it’s too bulky for your pocket.
- Does not come with an AC adapter.
- Takes a long time to fully charge the power bank.
This USB-C travel charger has 6000 mAh capacity and comes with two built-in cables (one USB-C and one for iPhone) and an additional USB port. Thus, you can charge two devices simultaneously without any extra cables.
The charger is ultra-slim and fits in the palm of your hand. You can easily carry it in your pocket while traveling. If you are looking for a USB C travel charger for individual use, this would be an excellent choice! And, given its attractive price point, you could easily pick up one for every member of the family.
The TG90 portable charger also comes with a built-in flashlight for emergency use. The charger also offers protection against overcharging, over-discharging, over-voltage, over current, and short circuit.
- An ultra-slim battery that is easy to carry.
- Built-in cable that lets you charge the devices instantly.
- LED flashlight for emergency use.
- Safety protection against overcharging, over-discharging, over-voltage, and short circuit.
- Not suitable for charging tablets.
- The flashlight can easily turn on when jostled
- Doesn’t have a built-in cable for regular (micro USB) android.
This is an all-in-one power bank with a 10050 mAh capacity. The charger comes with a foldable wall plug function that quickly charges it.
The device has a built-in iPhone charger lightning cable and a USB type C cable. The charger also has a USB port for an external connection.
This compactly sized 18 Watt Turbo Charge model offers a charge that’s up to 75% faster. It reportedly can charge the more recent models of Android and iPhones to 50% capacity in ½ an hour.
- Very small and compact and a good choice for travel.
- Cables are in-built. So no need to have extra cables for charging devices.
- The charger can be recharged by plugging it onto the power socket. Thus, there is no need for an additional plug or cable.
- The built-in lightning cable is Apple-approved.
- Pricier than similar type travel chargers.
- Built-in cables are quite short and awkwardly placed.
This is a multi-functional power bank with two built-in cables that can support three different types of devices.
One cable supports lightning products while the second cable has two separate heads – one that is USB C and the other is micro USB. There is also an additional USB port for charging a third device (with your own cable). Thus, you can charge iPhone, Android phone, and other devices simultaneously using this power bank. The power bank also has a USB port for charging.
The 10000 mAh capacity of the power bank can charge your phone 2-3 times. Thus, it makes a good travel companion. The multi-system protect microchip protects the device from overcharging, over-discharging, over-current and short circuits.
- The size of the charger is the same or smaller than a phone. Thus, it is very easy to carry.
- You can charge three devices at the same time using this charger.
- No need to carry a USB charger as the power bank has a USB port for charging.
- Quality-control issues: numerous consumer reports of cable tips breaking.
Titia Portable Charger
The Titia portable charger has a 26800 mAh capacity that can charge iPhones 5-6 times and Galaxy 4-6 times, depending on the model. iPad can be charged two times.
The charger has three USB ports that can be used to charge three devices at a time. The LED indicator of the charger shows the percentage of remaining power.
The highlight of this charger is that it can be charged using USB-C, Micro, and lightning cables. The charger is sleek in design and is pocket-friendly. The flashlight of the charger comes in handy while you are out camping.
- Compact design that can easily fit in your pocket or bag.
- Can charge three devices at a time.
- Available in two shades.
- LED indicator that shows the balance power.
- Several customers complained about the device not charging properly. This is more likely to be caused by a defect in the product.
Best Solar Power Banks
If your travels will find you spending lots of time outdoors, you should consider getting a solar version of a travel charger. This allows you to recharge the power bank using the energy of the sun, which can be quite handy if you plan to be cut off from electricity for an extended period of time.
This is a quick-charge solar charger with four outputs and dual inputs. The solar panel of this charger easily converts solar energy into electricity.
The charger has 3 USB output ports and one type C output port that you can use for charging four phones simultaneously. And, with a generous battery capacity of 30000 mAh capacity of the charger, all four devices would have the chance to receive a full charge.
According to the manufacturer, you can charge iPhones from 8 to 12 times, depending on the model. Samsung S10 can be charged up to 6.8 times and iPad mini 5 up to 3.5 times.
One distinctive feature of this charger is the LED emergency flashlight. Depending on the mode selected, you can use this light as a strong flashlight, or as a repeating emergency beacon.
- Can easily charge four devices at the same time.
- Great for hiking, camping, and other outdoor travels.
- The lightweight charger can easily fit in your pocket.
- The charger is water-resistant, dustproof, and shockproof.
- Power bank takes a long time to charge if relying solely on solar power.
This is a 10000 mAh capacity wireless solar power bank that is compatible with a wide range of devices.
The charger has two outputs – one regular USB and one USB-C. And, it has a third output via its wireless charging pad. The wireless charger is compatible with iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, and all Qi-enabled devices.
This lightweight and compact charger is made of premium ABS material that ensures durability to outdoor conditions.
This charger comes with dual torch flashlights and a compass kit.
- Super build with a rugged surface that protects the charger from damage.
- The dual flashlight works like a torch.
- Complimentary compass kit that comes in handy while on an outdoor adventure.
- Available in five shades.
- Small solar panels.
This solar charger is designed for outdoor activities like camping and hiking. The charger is made of ABS+PC+Silicone material that provides good protection from water, dirt, and shock.
It has two USB ports that you can use for charging two devices at the same time. The charger has intelligent security protection that offers protection from overloading, over current and short circuits.
Apart from the charger, you get 1 USB cable, one hanger, and one user manual.
- The built-in compass makes the device ideal for camping.
- Four LED indicators to indicate the power.
- Comes with an extra hook for hanging the charger on your backpack. This makes it easy to access for emergency use.
- Can use the solar charging feature only in an emergency. USB cable charging is the primary mode of charging.
Travel Charger Buying Guide
What Are The Key Factors To Look For In A Travel Charger?
Battery capacity is reported in “mAH” which is milliamp per hour. The larger the mAH, the greater capacity a power bank has for charging various devices. But note that the larger the overall capacity a power bank has, the longer it will take to charge it up fully. That’s why it’s a good idea to plug them in for overnight charging.
Most smartphones will generally require 2,000 to 4,000 mAH for a full charge, So you should expect that a power bank with 6,000 mAH would be able to charge up a phone two to three times (or charge two to three phones one time).
In contrast, tablets require considerably more power for a full charge. Depending on the battery size, tablets generally range from 6,000 to 12,000 mAH. So, if you know you will need to charge several tablets multiple times, you will want to look at the travel chargers with at least 20,000 mAH.
Size and Dimensions
This refers to the weight and dimension of the charger. The weight of a portable travel charger can range from 8 ounces to more than a pound. The width of the charger can range from less than a half-inch to almost a full inch. If you want a pocket-friendly charger, you should go for one that’s thinner and has less weight. On the other hand, if you plan to carry it in your suitcase, a slightly heavy one would do.
Number of Outputs
While purchasing a travel charger, you should go for one that can charge several devices simultaneously. If the charger has only one output port, you will have to plug devices one after the other for charging. Usually, it would be better to be able to charge multiple devices at once. But, be aware that, depending on the model of charger, the number of output ports being used at the same time may decrease the speed at which all devices are charged.
What Is A Portable Solar Charger And Why Should You Consider Getting One?
A portable solar charger makes use of solar energy to charge devices. As the name suggests, these chargers are portable.
A portable solar charger offers many benefits, but you have to manage your expectations. Even under ideal conditions, a solar charge will take longer to charge up your devices than using an electric-powered battery.
A solar travel charger offers the following benefits:
- The design of most solar chargers allows you to charge your device and the charger at the same time.
- When harnessing power from the sun, you’re not limited by the battery capacity of your charger. The solar charger will continue channeling energy into the devices being charged as long as there is sufficient sunlight.
- This charger does not make use of electricity for charging devices. Instead, they have solar panels that collect solar energy and convert it into electricity.
- The solar charger can store solar energy during the daytime and can be used to charge devices during nighttime.
Best Selling Travel Chargers on Amazon
Travel Charger FAQs
- Q: Are portable power banks allowed on planes?
Yes, you can carry your portable power bank in your carry-on hand luggage. Do not pack in your checked bags.
- Q: Can I put a power bank in the check-in luggage?
No, you cannot carry the power bank in checked luggage. They are uniformly forbidden because they are made of lithium cells that are likely to combust. If the combustion happens and the power bank catches fire while in the cargo, it can be disastrous.
- Q: Are power banks already charged?
Yes, most of the power banks come in a pre-charged mode. But they will not be fully charged. They will be charged around 75% or less while in the box. Once it is unboxed, you need to charge it fully. The lights on the power bank indicate the level of charging.
- Q: Can a power bank charge devices while being charged?
Some models of power banks can charge other devices while themselves being charged, but you should read the instructions carefully to determine whether or not it’s recommended. If you do choose to do this, try to make sure that the power in the power bank should be higher than the capacity of the device.
Keep up with the latest cruise tips and insights! Follow us on Pinterest:
Last update on 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API